Pages

Thursday 16 March 2017

Art Doll Challenge

When a monthly challenge to produce an Art Doll no Taller than 10" 
was announced in a lovely little FB group I am in I was *STUMPED..!!* 

 I have seen many Art Dolls but always associated them with professional Doll makers. 
It was only when a catalogue of pictures was shown giving ideas that I realised an Art Doll can be made from anything and everything and they are everywhere.

Here in words and pictures is how my Art Doll was created.


Using a 5.5" mini art mannequin I first painted in Gesso.


After lots of head scratching, umming are ahing my initial thoughts were to create a 
Doll with Alice from Alice in Wonderland in mind so I covered the body 
and arms using old pages from Alices Adventures in Wonderland.


Continuing with torn pages I moulded a dress.
The Yellow Post it Note Head is my Blue print just for sizing..!!


On Calico I stamped the Facial features using Paperbabe Doll face 
Stamps and coloured using Posca Marker Pens.
The calico was glued onto card and cut out along with another for the back of the head.


Both back and front have been glued together and placed over the wooden mannequin head. Bulldog clips have been used to hold the head together until it dried completely.


Lace has been applied to gaps in the dress also glued around the body to make a bodice 
and stained using tea. Hair has been applied using torn strips of calico and garden twine.

It wasn't until this stage that I decided I didn't want to replicate an Alice doll. With her raggedy dress and hair she almost seemed to be turning into Miss Havisham from 
Charles Dickens Great Expectations.


A little grey wash of paint and PVA and Miss Havisham is born, 
with her faded yellowed wedding dress, 
veil and headdress my Art Doll is complete.


This challenge was a real test for me, unsure every step of the way how to produce her but I must say I really enjoyed the way she evolved and have become quite attached to her.

Thank you for sharing your time and I hope you find these words and pictures helpful 
especially if you have been considering making one yourself.

Creative Hugs from Tracey xxx

8 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Very creative and clever Tracey, absolutely love this...xx ♥[aNNie]

Unknown said...

Fabulous

Artmadnana said...

What a treat to have such a well explained step out for your art doll. She is sooooo Miss Haversham! But, I don't want you to swap her now Tracey. She's far too precious. Although, secretly, I would love to be the recipient of this swap! Unfortunately, I have to be fair lol. A wonderful creation. Wonderful step out. Thankyou for sharing!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Thanks Annie, glad you like her xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Thank you :)

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Oh Chris that's so kind.. Like I said I have became quite attached to her. Thank you so much for stopping by I hope my step by step account will be useful to some xx

Jannet said...

What an amazing art doll Tracey! I love how she evolved from Alice to Miss Haversham two brilliant characters!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Thank you for your lovely comment Jannet. I'm hoping to get round to creating an Alice Doll too at some point in time xx